Mama's Mac & Cheese

Let me be clear on the title of this recipe.  I do not call this Mama's Mac & Cheese because my Mother made it.  It is not titled after a person who created it, but rather the person I make it for... ME!  Generally when I make mac & cheese in my home I cater it to my youngin's.  Which means it is mild, good old fashion made with American cheese mac & cheese.  While I love typical mac & cheese, it is after all one of the matriarchs of comfort food, sometimes I want something a little richer.  I want a mac & cheese with more flavors & flare.  Enter Mama's Mac & Cheese.  I make this purely for me.  I love the richness of this dish.  I love how the flavors compliment each other.  I love that I have to go out & buy special cheese to make this scrumptious meal.  Join my on the adult mac & cheese revolution & try whipping this up.  Here's the skinny...
Ingredients
4 cups Macaroni
12 Tablespoons Butter (Salted Butter)
1 whole medium onion diced
4 slices bacon diced
1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
2 cups Whole Or 2% Milk
1/2 cups Half-and-half
Salt to taste
1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
3/4 cups Grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounces Goat Cheese
1/3 cups panko crumbs (Japenses style bread crumbs)
1/8 cups chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook macaroni to al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
Fry bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel & set aside.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then sauté onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown & edges re a little black. Set aside.
Warm milk in microwave for a few minutes.  In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter.  Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute until foamy & turns light brown.  Make sure to do this step to the fullest as to cook out all the flour taste. Slowly pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low.
Add cheeses reserving ¼ cup of the parmesan and stir until melted. Add salt to taste.  Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter.  Stir in panko crumbs, remaining parmesan, parsley, onion and bacon.
Pour cheesy noodles into a baking dish and top with the panko crumb & bacon mixture.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment