Fall Accompaniments

We've finally hit some Fall like weather up here in the Rockies.  It has been so unseasonably warm here it really was Summer until a few days ago.  I was beginning to worry that we'd go straight from Summer to Winter, & skip my favorite time of the year- Fall.  But with cool weather & rainy days I'm beginning to believe that we will be able to enjoy our beautiful Fall weather. 
Part of what makes this season so wonderful for me is the smells & the food.  Of course I love the colors & the crisp air (I believe 60's & 70's are the perfect temperatures).  But the wonderful smells that are associated with Fall like apples & pumpkin spice are by far my favorite scents.  & the food of Fall..oh, the food of Fall.  Soups & warm bread, turkey & potatoes, apple & pear desserts... they can't be beat!  They are comfort food at its best.  I've shared my most favorite soup ever, Turkey, Mushroom, & Sage soup.  If you've never tried it, whip up a batch.  Use fresh sage & I guarantee you won't be disappointed
But today I want to share with you the king of all comfort foods, the captain of all soups, the agent of warming the soul- homemade chicken noodle.  So easy & flavorful, you can't go wrong with this soup.  It's the perfect accompaniment to a crisp Autumn day.  Here's the skinny...
Ingredients
10 Cups chicken stock
2 cups cut up cooked chicken 
1 1/4 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles 
Salt to taste
Directions
Bring  chicken stock to a boil & add chicken, carrots, celery, parsley.  Let boil until carrots are almost tender.  Add egg noodles & continue to boil until noodles are cooked.  Turn heat down & add salt to your liking (this varies widely depending on your taste & what kind of chicken stock you use.  If you make your owns stock it will need more than if you use store bought stock.  Just add a little at a time & taste in between).  Serve warm with a good bread.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment