Guest Bed

Thanks for the comments on the last post.  I love reading about people's holiday traditions, so much fun!  Keep 'em coming.

Being Christmas and all, most of us are bound to have company at some point.  With this comes a lot of bed making.  I'm a semi bed making freak.  I like them to look nice, wrinkle free, and basically perfect.  It's a weird trait, I admit, but it comes in handy since I run a vacation home.  I love going into hotels, cabins, vacation homes, spas (oh wait, wrong life) and seeing a beautifully made bed.  One key element to a perfect bed is the sheets.  They should be crisp, clean, smell divine, and wrinkle free.  The optimal way to get sheet wrinkle free is to iron them (oh wait, wrong life).  I hear ya, who has time for that.  So the next best way is to fold them the right way.  Now most people don't have a problem folding the flat sheet, but it's that darn fitted sheet that we give up on & eventually ball up & call it good.  The down side of that is when you go to make the bed you have a severely wrinkled sheet.  I was blessed with a mother that knew the best way to fold a fitted sheet, and thankfully she passed that knowledge on to me... and now I'm passing it on to you.


Step 1: find a corner, turn it inside out & put your arm in it with your finger tips going right into the corner of the sheet.  (It was impossible to take a picture w/ my arm in the sheet, so you'll just have to picture it)

Step 2: with your hand still in place, fold in half & put the opposite corner on top of the first corner over your arm but this time leave the corner right side in.  Basically the sheet should be folded in half now.

Step 3. continue to hold your hand in place inside the corners & fold in half again the opposite way & put that corner inside out in place over your hand holding the existing corners.


Step 4: Put the last corner right side in, in place over the other corners on your hand.  Now lay it on the ground or a table & it should look like this.  Smooth out all the wrinkles.


Step 5: You are going to fold this length wise into thirds.  Start at the edge that the corners are at and fold over the first third of the sheet.  Make sure to smooth out wrinkles as you go.


Step 6: Fold again & you should have something that looks like this.


Step 7: Now you're going to fold into thirds again the opposite way.  Make sure your constantly smoothing out the wrinkles.  Fold the first third over.


Step 8: Fold the last bit over & your done.  It should look like this.  And when you go to make the guest bed your sheets will be wrinkle free.

My last tip to having wrinkle free, lovely sheets... BUY GOOD SHEETS!  Oh, and don't leave them in the laundry basket for a week like I do (any volunteers to fold my 6 baskets of laundry I'm looking at?)  Go to Ross or TJ Maxx, you can get high thread count sheets in almost any color and size for super cheap.

Happy hosting :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Miss Jess, this looks like fun! Great job. Can't wait for more....could you also come make my beds???

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the pictures didn't upload on my computer....perhaps I'll need a personal tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I iron my pillow cases...

    ReplyDelete